Maine's Abundant Biobased Assets
Biobased Maine and our partners seek to attract new investment in advanced biobased manufacturing by leveraging Maine's abundant assets.
- Maine is the most forested state in the United States with 90 percent cover and the highest percent of certified sustainable harvest.
- An annual harvest of 11.6 million green tons (as of 2016) produces forest residues and low-grade pulpwood that seeks new markets.
- A mature forestry industry delivers raw material to mills daily.
- Ample industrial infrastructure for co-location offers combined heat and power, wastewater treatment, and existing permits.
- Rail and deepwater ports provide ready access to global markets.
- There's world-class research and development capacity at the Forest Bioproducts Research Institute at the University of Maine.
- Maine has a solid, experienced workforce with a strong history in manufacturing.